Search This Blog

Welcome

I'm very pleased to welcome you to my blog on history of First Baptist Church, Washington, Georgia. I started it last year after spending much time thinking about how to do it. The sources I had to use were the minutes of my church's conferences and the minutes of the annual meetings of the Georgia Baptist Associatiion of Churches, as well as my church's website. I decided not to write about long periods of time - decades, centuries, but about years, since that fit better with the Association's minutes. I have not, and probably will not, finish this job.

William T. Johnson

Sunday, February 14, 2010

1852




This is a record of activities of First Baptist Church of Washington, Georgia, during the church year shown in the title above and ending September 30 of that year.

The church had as pastor at the end of the church year Vincent Redmond Thornton in a less-than-full time status.

The Georgia Baptist Association of churches met at Elim Baptist Church in  Warren County on October 8, 9,11  following the end of the church year. This church  elected as messengers to attend that meeting members shown after Labelsof below. Note that the pastor was not elected, apparently because of membership in another church.



The church letter reported  members gained by baptism:, gained by letter:, lost  by dismissal: , lost by exclusion: , lost by death, and total remaining, and of these were white and were black

No comments:

Post a Comment